Have you ever gone to a restaurant and had a fabulous time, and then when you went back again, it was a completely different experience (and not in a good way)? Do the opposite of that.
Give your customers a fantastic experience every time. Without fail. Great one day and mediocre or sub-par the next just won’t cut it. Set the bar really high. And then keep doing it. And if you do find yourself doing something a little inconsistent from what your customers are used to, make it because you’re increasing the awesome factor of the experience, rather than the other way around.
- The New York Times daily newspaper has been around since 1851. Since then the paper has won 112 Pulitzer Prizes, more than any other news organization. Its website is also the most popular among all the newspapers in the U.S. The New York Times has been able to stick around for such a long period of time and have its large number of readers come back again and again, because for more than 160 years, the paper has consistently delivered great content.
- Just one of the reasons why Seth Godin has been called “America’s Greatest Marketer” is because of his consistency. In addition to his seventeen books, he’s been publishing to his blog seven days a week for years. The consistency of delivering blog posts, along with the high frequency and quality are just one of the things that makes Seth Godin so remarkable. Can you tell i’m a fan yet?
- When it comes to consistency, processes are your friend, and variation is the enemy. Document the steps you need to take to consistently deliver high quality to your customers. And then follow your processes.
- Sometimes consistency is just about showing up on a regular basis. Once your customers get used to seeing you at the same bat place at the same bat time, they’ll start to look for you.
Application for your business
- Make a list of three things you deliver to your customers. Next write down what you do to ensure you ensure consistency in delivering those items to your customers.
- What do you want to be known for being most consistent at?
24. Know your stuff
25. Add value
28. Be a purple cow