Sometimes it is ok to have a big ego. Especially if it causes you to work hard to be the best. Strive to be the best at what you do. Work to be better than you were yesterday. Be the kind of company that solves your customers’ problem like no other. As you relentlessly pursue being better each day, your customers will not only reap the benefits, but they’ll love that you’re working hard to be better for them.
- Ray Allen is one of the most accurate 3-point and free throw shooters in NBA history. He holds the record for 3-point shots made and attempted in regular season play. And despite his accolades, he still shows up hours before each game to go through his pre-game shooting routine which demands 150 shots made before he leaves the court. His commitment to excellence in his craft, to be better than he was the day before was taken a step further when he switched to the Paleo diet. This allows him to demand even more from his body in his quest to be better than he was the day before.
- General Electric (GE) had a big enough ego that led them to declare they would be #1 or #2 in any industry they participated in. Not an easy feat by any means, but one they were able to realistically target through their relentless pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement.
- Don’t just strive to be the best. Create and implement a plan that gets you there. Whether it is relentlessly practicing your craft, or be it a constant quest to improve your business results, you can get there. But only if your ego is big enough to demand excellence from yourself.
- Evolve your plan to get better over time. While there will be certain habits that are timeless, in a lot of cases you will need to add new tips and strategies to take you even farther. So don’t get so caught up in your existing routine for greatness that you shun an added method that will get you better results.
Application for your business
- What do you want to be better at than everyone else?
- What will you do each day to be better at it than you were the prior day?
68. Be remarkable
69. Be memorable
70. Shake things up
73. Start a movement
74. Be fearless